Friday, January 13, 2012

Introduction

Westborough High School offers dozens of electives ranging from a study of modernism to a practice in international cooking: worlds of knowledge in every field.  Students can learn about world history or the arts or even raising children.  Then, of course, a student might find himself in Facing History and Ourselves.  And if you were this student, you would learn about you.
 
Entirely unique in its design and function, this course allows students to study themselves through studying others and to engage in discussions of morality, forced to challenge their own choices.  It's a psychologically stimulating class that pushes one to think, not only of the actions of others, but of his own actions as well.  An indivually self-reflective course that stands alone in the curriculum, Facing History and Ourselves is a class I'd quickly recommend to others.

I was turned onto the the class when a friend had told me that it was, "really deep" and, "interesting."  Despite the vague description, in my unending quest for intellectually provocative classes that would maintain my interest, I signed up.  And I can't possibly say I regret that.

No comments:

Post a Comment